Timber Design Awards
Coastlands Aquatic Centre
The new 2000m2 double curved transparent roof, provides a stunning internal environment for sports and recreation, a presents new possibilities for aquatic centres in New Zealand
The design of the vaulting laminated diagrid form, drew on a wide variety of specialist design skills from Europe to ensure a holist approach to the design of the main pool hall. The ability of technical team to demonstrate energy saving (using free solar energy to heat the pools) provided the influencing decision in opting for this innovative approach.
Key features include:
- Doubly curved laminated timber diagrid roof providing two spanning roof.
- Lightweight flexible cladding system appropriate for high seismic zone such as Paraparaumu
- Facade engineering principals used to define the optimum characteristics and ensure user comfort.
- Thermal and day light modelling formed the basis of the energy efficient design, which provided the compelling argument to support the use of a premium architectural cladding system.
- Optimised 3d geometry to ensure efficient use of ETFE cladding and Timber, reduce amount of materials coming to site, and ensure ease of constructability and cost.