This section contains information on the design procedure for lateral forces.
A brief outline of the design procedure for lateral forces is included in the PDF below. This procedure must be carried out for lateral forces in the two principal directions. Different conditions may govern and different structural systems may be used for the two directions.
1. Establish the building geometry.
2. Select the lateral force-resisting systems for the building.
3. Calculate the lateral design forces at each level of the building:
4. Allocate the storey shears to the lateral force resisting elements at each level.
5. Calculate the actions in all components of the lateral force resisting system, and size the members.
6. Check the strength of all connections.
7. Check that lateral deflections are within acceptable limits.